Inspiration: Barcelona friend who made this at a house warming party. Although, she might argue my recipe isn’t traditional as they don’t brown any of the onions!
Tortilla Espanyola Recipe:
1# russet potato (1 large)
- Peel and slice potatoes on a mandolin either thick or thin (depending on preference). Drain water. Salt generously, more than you think is necessary. Can use coarse sea salt too.
- Slice onions and cook until soft and browned (less crunch is better). Set aside in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat 6 eggs and a tablespoon of water together. Season with salt & pepper.
- Heat a skillet with oil and cook potatoes until soft but not crumbly.
- Combine onions and cooked potatoes, then add to beaten egg mixture.
- Make sure the skillet is hot when adding egg, then reduce heat to low and cook for 4 minutes.
- Finish off in broiler for the last 4 minutes (8 minutes cook time for eggs). Place a plate on top of the skillet and flip over. Serve hot or cold.