Super easy to whip together, very flavorful and awesome to freeze and reheat while camping (which is what we did in Big Sur last week!)
Chicken Pot Pie
Yields 1 ½ pie fillings
1 Q cooked chicken (can use less, depending on preference)
1 large onion
1 large russet potato, small diced
1 ½ C frozen peas
1 C frozen corn
italian seasoning (sparse)
parsley* (did not have on hand so omitted)
1 C milk
2-3 T butter
½ C apf
2 C chicken stock
- Saute mirepoix until translucent.
- Add chicken stock and diced potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Once potatoes are ¾ of the way cooked, add frozen peas, corn, seasonings, butter, milk and apf.
- Cook for a couple minutes more until mixture thickens.
- Scoop into a pie crust, add top, brush with egg wash, and bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until brown on top and bubbly inside.
For a homemade pie crust, this works awesome (from my baking and pastry book):
|Pastry flour||12 oz|
|Salt||¼ oz or 7 grams|
|Butter, cold||8 oz or 2 sticks|
|Water, cold||5-6 oz|
- Fill water with ice cubes until cold.
- Cut frozen butter into small cubes.
- Pulse pastry flour and butter in food processor until crumbly.
- Measure out 5-6 oz water and dissolve salt.
- Pour flour & butter mixture on flat surface and make a well.
- Pour water little by little, pulling flour in toward the center.
- Use bench scraper to chop big pieces as needed.
- Divide into 4 mounds and plastic wrap.
- Freeze or refrigerate until needed. Best made at least 1 day in advance as the water will hydrate the dough better.