This dish was inspired by a recipe from one of my French cookbooks. It originally was supposed to be be a swiss chard gratin, but I thought it needed a little bit more Oomph! So I added basmati rice and four cheeses. The one ingredient which I forgot to add was heavy cream or half and half — which I think would have made all the difference for the richer, smoother, creamier texture and consistency. The nitty gritty:
- Sautee shallots, onion, garlic, and blanched swiss chard (with stalks and all) in butter.
- Add herbs and spices (thyme, oregano, nutmeg, s&p, garlic powder, onion powder) and red wine vinegar as it cooks.
- Cook rice with salt and butter in a rice cooker or in a pot, over the stove.
- Grate parmesan, gruyere, monterey jack.
- Mix all the ingredients with two beaten eggs and panko bread crumbs.
- Top with Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese blend.
The flavor of the dish turned out good, it just needed that last ingredient…Will definitely make this again and add the H&H or heavy cream with step 5.